Psychological therapy for parents
I can help you overcome whatever is holding you back from being the parent you want to be.
I can help you start living the family life you want to live.
It's a courageous choice to begin talking therapy, and there are many reasons why parents seek it out.
I am experienced in working with clients to overcome the following challenges,
related to a parent's life more generally:
- Depression, persistent sadness or low mood
- Anxiety or health anxiety
- Stress, including burnout
- Grief and Bereavement
- Shame and/or frequent feelings of guilt
- Challenges regarding self-worth, self-esteem or confidence
- A loud inner-critic voice
- A sense of disconnection from your life
- A sense of disappointment with where you are in your life
- Childhood emotional trauma, or unresolved emotions from your past
- Relationship difficulties, such as difficulties in trusting or setting personal boundaries
- Attachment difficulties, and how these relate to our upbringing
- Physical health difficulties, such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, or Obesity, etc.
- Changing lifestyle habits (e.g. stopping smoking, losing weight, etc.)
- Adapting to the changes that menopause brings
I am also experieced in offering support for challeges specifically related to the parenting journey:
- Challenges associated with fertility
- Pregnancy loss
- Pregnancy, birth or breastfeeding related trauma
- Postnatal depression, anxiety or overwhelm
- Adjustment to becoming a parent
- When parenting is not what you expected
- Feeling 'not good enough' as a parent
- Feelings of stress, guilt and/or shame related to parenting
- Feeling overwhelmed from with advice from parenting books etc.
- Setting effective boundaries for your child
- Realising you are turning into your own parent ( ...which you promised yourself would never happen)
- Supporting your child with their emotional challenges
- Learning how to be emotionally supportive of your children, and boundaried and firm at the same time
- Parents being on 'different pages' re. behaviour management etc.
- Family bereavements or life transitions (e.g. separation, house move, etc.), which make parenting harder
- Challenges regarding building new step-families
- Your own emotional, mental health or physical concerns that you worry impact on your parenting
- Preventing your children from developing mental health conditions in the future
- Simply wishing to enhance your parenting skills
I welcome queries from individuals from all backgrounds and cultures.
The therapy I offer will be developed collaboratively, with you actively contributing to this process as well as me. I will base my input to this collaborative process on an integration of many evidence-based psychological therapies and techniques (for more information about my skills, experience and therapeutic techniques, please click the link below).
Please note: I am unable to offer support to families who are currently experiencing any risk of self-harm, or abuse, or violence from others, either verbally or physically. My therapy services are contraindicated where there is current risk of self-harm or abuse - Currently living in safety is a pre-requisite for undergoing safe and effective therapy with me.
If this applies to you please speak to the Police and your GP about options for you to become safe, and/or phone the National Domestic Abuse Hotline (freephone) on 0808 2000 247.